Ad by The Cutting Edge News

The Cutting Edge

Thursday June 21 2018 reaching 1.4 million monthly
Ad by The Cutting Edge News

Boston Massacre

Back to Page One

Three Dead at Boston Marathon Bombing

April 15th 2013

Boston Marathon Massacre

Two explosions rocked the finish line at the iconic Boston Marathon race, leaving an as yet undetermined number of persons injured. At least one police officer was injured, while one bystander said that injuries were severe. There are reports that there are now at least three fatalities and dozens of injuries. Dave Weigel, who witnessed the carnage, used social media to describe the scene as the smoke cleared. “I saw people’s legs blown off. Horrific. Two explosions. Runners were coming in and saw unspeakable horror,’ he wrote on Twitter. Some reports suggest that at least three persons have died as a result of the two blasts.  The blasts took place approximately three hours after the marathon’s winners crossed the line.

Video and photographs from the scene showed emergency personnel going to aid the injured. The sidewalks near the finish line and the north side of Boylston Street were strewn with blood.  Bloodied spectators were taken to a medical tent. “There are a lot of people down,” said one witness, according to AP news. His bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina.

Witnesses says that a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the bridge that marks the finish line, was seconded by another approximately 10 seconds later. Straggling runners headed for the finish line were rerouted away from the smoking carnage.

The Red Cross has set up a disaster response center in the area.

The Boston Marathon headquarters are currently on lockdown, according to a race spokesman. Boston’s Metropolitan Transit Authority has suspended train service on the green line between Kenmore and Park. Windows of the Marathon sports store were blown out by the force of the two blasts.

The explosions occurred at approximately 2:45 pm on April 15, or about an hour after the first of the nearly 27,000 runners crossed the finish line. Police have ordered onlookers to back away, while National Guard troops are also on hand.

Spero News editor Martin Barillas is a former US diplomat, who also worked as a democracy advocate and election observer in Latin America. He is also a freelance translator.

Back to Page One
Copyright © 2007-2018The Cutting Edge News About Us